The seeds of the tree that has taken deep roots and spread its verdant branches far and wide, now known as George Oakes Limited was sown in the shape of a multi brand workshop in a prominent hill station, Ootacamund in the then state of Madras now renamed Tamil Nadu.It was christened the "GARAGE" and owned by Mr George Henry Augustine Oakes and his wife. Its acquisition by the Amalgamations Group was preceded by its being bought over by Mr.W.W.Laddon, then a Director of Simpson & Co.. It was incorporated as a Company on May 21,1941 and renamed as George Oakes Limited. A move that changed the fortunes of the Company, occurred in 1945.The Amalgamations Group founded by the legendary industrialist Mr.S. Anantharamakrishnan acquired George Oakes Limited.
George Oakes buying up the car dealership operations of Gordon Woodroffe Motors marked its entry into the automobile business as the sole dealers for Ford cars in South India. The headquarters of the Company was moved to Madras, now known as Chennai. The exit of Ford Motors from the country in 1956 had George Oakes take over the imported kits for assembly and sale in the country. The late 50s and early 60s saw George Oakes in the sale of FOMOCO Genuine Spares and other spares procured against import licenses. The mid 60s had George Oakes entering wholesale distribution of indigenously produced auto components in the Southern and Western parts of the country.
At the turn of the Millennium, the Company had a sound portfolio of auto components to distribute supplemented by the dealership for MF / TAFE tractors in the southern districts of Tamil Nadu. Just past the Millennium, Company entered Genuine Spares space in association with TATA MOTORS. This association has since been expanded into many geographies and partnerships forged with Mahindra & Mahindra and Bosch Ltd..
The Company spread across 9 states south of the Vindhyas, today, prides itself on an unenviable product portfolio consisting of Genuine Spares from two renowned vehicle manufacturers, proprietary parts from leading Tier I suppliers to OEMs, strong association with a prominent diesel injection equipment manufacturer and a dealership for tractors, in different territories.
The Company is constantly engaged in upgrading its manpower resource and exploiting technology to provide better service to its suppliers and customers.
Starting off with Tally Software in 1999 and gaining experience with a mini ERP, GOL has now implemented Oracle E Business Suite 12.1.3 throughout its network.
For effective communication and to bring about unity of purpose and a sense of belonging among the staff at widely dispersed locations, video conferencing facilities linking the Head Office and the Branches has been established.
Sales and support staff at all levels are constantly exposed to in house and external programs towards skill and attitude development.
To improve field sales force productivity and overcome the challenges in servicing a voluminous product portfolio, hand held devices are being provided to them.This enables a well informed, comprehensive dialogue with the customer leading to an order being booked and lodged on the server right from the customer's premises.
The high degree of integrity displayed in distribution and the courteous service extended to customers have helped it carve an enviable niche for itself. George Oakes is committed to sustain the tremendous reservoirs of faith both manufacturers and customers have reposed in it - living upto its reputation as "a trusted name in automotive spares".